History of the Bruce/Dilly/Avery Family from Lawrence county, Ohio. This was submitted to me, many years ago, but I have forgotten who it was. If anyone remembers, please contact the Lawrence Register so I can give you/them credit. I would also like the name of the book and author.-Martha
Lawrence County, Ohio Churches
See also: Ironton’s Churches
|Abundant Life Baptist||State Route 7||Proctorville|
|Apostolic Church at Jep Station||Route 93||Decatur|
|Apostolic Church of God||Burlington|
|Apostolic Gospel (Greater Faith)||6th & Spruce||Ironton|
|Bald Knob United Brethren||Ironton|
|Berea Baptist||Old US 52||South Point|
|Bethel United Methodist||Route 2 Box 39||Proctorville|
|Big Branch Church||Big Branch Road||Chesapeake|
|Bride of Christ Baptist||Buffalo Creek Road||Chesapeake|
|Brookdale Freewill Baptist||Burlington|
|Burlington Baptist||Old Route 52||South Point|
|Burlington Church of the Nazarene||Burlington|
|Burlington United Methodist||Route 4 Box 433||South Point|
|Burlington Macedonia Church||Charley Creek Road||Burlington|
|Calvary Baptist||5th & Quincy||Ironton|
|Campbell Chapel Freewill Baptist||Campbell Drive & State Rt. 141||Ironton|
|Cannon’s Creek United Brethren||Pedro|
|Center Point Church||Township Road 159||Scottown|
|Centenary United Methodist||Community Centenary Road||Coal Grove|
|Central Christian||1541 S. 7th.||Ironton|
|Central Christian Church of Christ||309 Big Branch Road||Chesapeake|
|Chesapeake Church of the Nazarene||Route 4 Box 56||Chesapeake|
|Chesapeake Christian||210 2nd Ave.||Chesapeake|
|Chesapeake Pentecostal||Martha Street||Chesapeake|
|Chesapeake United Methodist||501 2nd. Ave.||Chesapeake|
|Christ Episcopal Church||5th & Park||Ironton|
|Christ United Methodist||617 Wyanoke St.||Ironton|
|Church of Christ in Christian Union||Market St.||Ironton|
|Church of God of Prophecy||Jones Drive||Ironton|
|City Mission||710 N. 5th St.||Ironton|
|Coal Grove Church of the Nazarene||135 Center St.||Coal Grove|
|Coal Grove United Methodist||226 Memorial||Coal Grove|
|Community Missionary Baptist||Deering|
|Cornerstone Bible||Solida Road||South Point|
|Decatur Missionary Baptist||Route 1||Pedro|
|Defender United Methodist||Route 1 Box 346||Chesapeake|
|Dog Fork Union United Baptist||Kitts Hill|
|Ellison Street Church of the Nazarene||2224 N. 4th. St.||Ironton|
|Elm Street Church of the Nazarene||317 Elm St.||Ironton|
|Etna Baptist||State Route 93||Pedro|
|Fairland Southern Baptist||State Route 7||Proctorville|
|Fairview Missionary Baptist||Wilgus|
|Finley Chapel United Methodist||Big Paddy Creek Road||Chesapeake|
|First Baptist Church of Ironton, Ohio (Storms Creek Baptist)||5th & Vernon||Ironton|
|First Baptist Church at Burlington||Old Route 52||Burlington|
|First Baptist of Chesapeake||Old Route 52||Chesapeake|
|First Baptist of Proctorville||State Route 243||Proctorville|
|First Baptist of Sheridan||Old Route 52||South Point|
|First Christian Baptist||2427 S. 11th St.||Ironton|
|First Church of the Nazarene||2318 S. 4th St.||Ironton|
|First Pentecostal Holiness Church||US 52 & Sandusky||Burlington|
|First Presbyterian||201 N. 5th St.||Ironton|
|First Southern Baptist of S. Point||County Rd 1||South Point|
|First Tabernacle||1301 S. 10th St.||Ironton|
|First United Methodist||101 N. 5th St.||Ironton|
|Forrest Glen United Methodist||Route 1 Box 509||Chesapeake|
|Franklin Furnace Enterprise Baptist||Franklin Furnace|
|Freedom Baptist||Oak Ridge Rd.||Kitts Hill|
|Freedom Enterprise Bapt -Ironton||8th & Quincy||Ironton|
|Freedom Enterprise Bapt -S. Point||Solida Road||South Point|
|Gateway Baptist||312 S. 6th St.||Ironton|
|Getaway United Methodist||State Route 243||Chesapeake|
|Gibson Chapel M.E.||Jct. of Rte. 775 & 217||Scottown|
|God’s Holiness Mission||4th & Jones||Ironton|
|Good Hope United Baptist||State Route 218||Crown City|
|Grand Valley Missionary Baptist||State Route 218||Scottown|
|Greasy Ridge Church of Christ||Chesapeake|
|Greater Emmanuel Apostolic Faith Tabernacle||808 Quincy||Ironton|
|Hanging Rock Presbyterian||Hanging Rock|
|Harmony Missionary Baptist||State Route 243||Getaway|
|Haverhill United Methodist
In 1870, My great grand father Joshua Oakes donated the bricks for the church from his Brick and Tile Company. Submitted by Mary F. Oakes Spencer
|Ice Creek Missionary Baptist||Deering|
|Immanuel United Methodist||801 S. 5th St.||Ironton|
|Ironton Church of Christ||10th & Vine||Ironton|
|Jeffersonville Missionary Baptist||Coal Grove|
|Jehovah’s Witness||1604 Campbell Drive||Ironton|
|Jehovah’s Witness||Old US 52||Chesapeake|
|Johnstown Baptist||Deering-Bald Knob Rd||Ironton|
|Junior Furnace Missionary Baptist||Franklin Fce|
|LaGrange Freewill Baptist||Porter Gap Rd.||LaGrange|
|Lawrence Furnace United Methodist||State Route 93||Pedro|
|Leatherwood Baptist||Route 1 Box 317||South Point|
|Leatherwood Missionary Baptist||Route 1||South Point|
|Lighthouse Tabernacle Apostolic Church of God||Etna-Waterloo Rd||Pedro|
|Linnville United Baptist||Linnville|
|Lorain Street Gospel Mission||4th & Lorain Sts.||Ironton|
|Lucinda United Baptist||Proctorville|
|Macedonia Missionary Baptist||Waterloo|
|Main Street Freewill Baptist||Coal Grove|
|Mamre Baptist||Kitts Hill|
|Marion Aid United Methodist||Route 1 Box 83||Thurman|
|McKinley Chapel United Baptist||Route 775||Proctorville|
|Midland Missionary Baptist|
|Mt. Calvary Freewill Baptist||Center Station||Pedro|
|Mt. Hope Missionary Baptist||Greasy Ridge Road||Chesapeake|
|Mt. Olive Baptist||4th & Mulberry||Ironton|
|Mt. Olive Enterprise Baptist||State Route 93||Pedro|
|Mt. Pleasant Regular Baptist|
|Myrtle Ridge Missionary Baptist|
|Myrtle Tree Missionary Baptist||Coal Grove|
|New Hope United Methodist||Route 4 Box 568||Proctorville|
|New Valley Missionary Baptist|
|New Zion Baptist||Greasy Ridge Rd.|
|Oakland Chapel United Brethren||Pedro|
|Ohio Baptist||Union Landing|
|Ohio Furnace Enterprise Baptist||Haverhill|
|Palestine Missionary Baptist||Waterloo|
|Perkins Ridge Missionary Baptist||Perkins Ridge||Scottown|
|Pine Grove Freewill Baptist||Pine Grove|
|Pine Grove Missionary Baptist||Miss. Bapt|
|Pine Street United Methodist||4th & Pine St.||Ironton|
|Pleasant Valley Missionary Baptist|
|Pomaria Baptist||Greasy Ridge||Chesapeake|
|Quinn Chapel African Methodist Epls.||8th & Adams St.||Ironton|
|Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints||9th & Ellison St.||Ironton|
|Rockwood Baptist Church||Rockwood Ave.||Chesapeake|
|Rome Church of Christ||Proctorville|
|Rome Presbyterian||Route 3||Proctorville|
|Rose of Sharon Baptist||State Route 775||Proctorville|
|Royersville Missionary Baptist||Pine Grove|
|Sanctuary of Grace||Proctorville|
|Scottown United Methodist||Route 3 Box 688||Proctorville|
|Sedgewick United Methodist||1717 Reynolds Ave.||Ironton|
|Sharon Baptist||2010 S. 5th St.||Ironton|
|Sheridan Enterprise Baptist||Lick Creek Rd.||South Point|
|Sheridan Freewill Baptist||Old Route 52||South Point|
|Sheridan United Methodist||Route 5 Box 607B||South Point|
|Slabfork Centenary United Methodist||John’s Creek Road||Pedro|
|Solida Missionary Baptist||Solida Road||South Point|
|South Point Christian||101 Park Ave.||South Point|
|South Point Church of Christ||3rd & Virginia||South Point|
|South Point Church of the Nazarene||406 9th St.||South Point|
|South Point First Baptist||Solida Rd & Old US 52||South Point|
|South Point United Methodist||202 3rd St. E.||South Point|
|Sovereign Grace Missionary Baptist||Coal Grove|
|Spencer Chapel (Early marriages in this link)||Ironton|
|St. Andrew’ Reformed||Franklin Fce|
|St. Ann’s Catholic||310 3rd. Avenue||Chesapeake|
|St. Joseph Catholic
Baptism records here
|905 S. 5th St.||Ironton|
|St. Lawrence O’Toole Catholic||615 Center St.||Ironton|
|St. Mary’s Catholic
(Dr. Cotter story)
|Smokey Row Road||Pine Grove|
|St. Paul Lutheran||6th & Center St.||Ironton|
|Storms Creek Missionary Baptist||Coryville Rd.||Ironton|
|Sugar Creek Missionary Baptist||State Route 141||Hecla|
|Sunrise Church of the Nazarene||South Point|
|Sybene Missionary Baptist||Old Route 53 & Charley Creek Rd.||Chesapeake|
|Symmes Valley Freewill Baptist||Willow Wood|
|Triedstone Baptist||Depot Square||Ironton|
|Tri-State Baptist Temple||US 52 & Delta Lane||South Point|
|Union Baptist Church||Washington Twp. Ohio||Blackfork|
|Union Missionary Baptist||State Route 243 & Browning Road||Chesapeake|
|Union United Brethren||State Route 775||Proctorville|
|Warneke Baptist||State Route 93||Pedro|
|Waterloo United Methodist||Route 1 Box 83||Thurman|
|Wayside Chapel Mennonite||State Route 93||Warneke|
|Windsor United Methodist||Box 6||Crown City|
|Woodland Chapel Freewill Baptist||State Route 93||Kelley’s Bridge|
|Zoar Missionary Baptist||Zoar Ridge||Coal Grove|
|Zoar Pentecostal||Slab Fork Road on Zoar Ridge|
This page is dedicated to the great people who make this website possible. I would like to say a big “THANK YOU” to all the wonderful volunteers who help me keep this site updated and fresh.
If you have helped me and your name is not listed, PLEASE email me and let me know, I DON’T want to exclude anyone from the recognition they deserve. I have a lot of great things planned in the future!
Remember this is YOUR site and if you want to help, please email me, I would be GLAD to have you. I will send you material to type, along with instructions, there is no cost involved nor any pressure. I want this to be fun!! ——- signed Martha J. Martin
MEET THE VOLUNTEERS
- Don Ort, who has spent countless hours typing wills, marriages and census indexes and has given us lots of moral support.
- Norm Nussbaum, who has been so great in keeping up the enormous task of updating the cemetery indexes. THANKS NORM!!
- Roy Haas, has helped us with formatting and lots of support. Be sure and check out his website!
- Bill Doughty, who has helped by typing up census records and is a wonderful friend! What a wealth of information he has shared with me!!
- Tom Clutters, (deceased) who has been our right-hand-man with the cemeteries; answering emails and helping people find their ancestor!
- Barbara Madden, has typed up Narrow Escape stories for those who are interested in the Civil War. We met Barbara this past year-what a lovely person!!
- Joyce Knoch, has typed up several Narrow Escape stories of the Civil War!
- Jimmie Epling, has donated several wonderful articles on the Civil War page.
- Diane Sparling, who is helping us type numerous Narrow Escape Stories.
- Herma Deal, is working with misc. articles.
- Shirley Reed, who has been transcribing several articles for the website.
- Elizabeth Burns, who transcribed the 1867 births for the website.
- Henry S. Dillon, who has given us a wealth of information on the Dillon family and is never too busy to chat with us and encourages to keep going! He is now working on the 1850 census index!
- Karen Carlyle, from Canada, who is helping type narrow escape stories and anything else we can find!
- Debbie Meinhart, is helping with the narrow escape stories and several other info to help us out!
- Linda Adkins, who is also helping with the narrow escape stories and other stories.
- Maxine Marshall, who has helped with the court indexes and census records!!
- Dan Norgard , who is helping type several cemeteries for us, working with Norm Nussbaum.
- Debbie Wedder is helping Norm Nussbaum type our cemetery files
- Jeanette Johnson , who is helping us type up misc. articles.
- Pam Huchison, [the “love my Cincinnati Reds” gal].
- Ethel Haines, has offered to submit some information she has.
- Lesli Christian, is transcribing various persons wills from Lawrence County, Ohio!
- Ken Clark, (deceased) from Texas, is a volunteer who has willingly shared several of his family files with us, and other material!
- Charlie Berry, has just joined out team and will be helping us with more census indexes!
- Mary Tighe, is helping us type up more court indexes from the journals.
- Jeff Hayes, submitted the Massie murder file!
- Frank Pratt, submitted Pratt family material!
- Heather Bowers, who is helping us with queries and working with us with USGenWeb!
- Rob Bower, alphabetized the 1830 census index for us so I could compile it into one page!
- James Burcham, who has offered to help with numerous tasks!
- Lowell Pankake, has generously typed and coded some of his own family’s wills!
- Jim Earles, has also generously typed and sent us several of his family’s wills!
- Peggy Wells, is helping us type a lot of interesting articles–Thanks Peg!!
- Tricia G. Lynch , submitted her Ballard family file.
- John Smith, submitted Bethel UM Church History.
- Lorna Marks, has volunteered to type misc. materials from numerous articles.
- Paul and Linda Lawrence , typed up the Union Township article.
- Brenda Wilson, is assisting us with typing articles.
- Mary Hill, who submitted info on James Ditty’s Civil War pension.
- Beverly Jones, who submitted Samuel Handley’s will and is typing up Will Books 12-14 Indexes.
- Michael Pearcy
- Ted Pack
- Don Compston, who submitted several photos of tombstones from W.D. Kelley Cemetery.
- Mack Gore, who submitted several pictures of the Kelley family.
- Kevin Pinson, who has submitted the Wessel and Willis family articles.
- Clarence Lee, submitted Descendants of David Reed and Richard Clark from Lawrence County Ohio
- Kevin Pinson submitted several Willis obits and other articles.
- Beverly Jones typing various newspaper stories.
- Minnie Anderson submitted the Sultana story.
- Priscilla Newman also submitted the Sultana story.
- Emmett Conway submitted the Castleman stories.
- Carl T. Murdock submitted some of his families.
- Carol Wolf has helped with several stories.
- Kay Brown, submitted several military stories.
- Jill M. “Shattuck” Stafford, submitted the Shattuck family file.
- Betty Webb is our newest volunteer, typing numerous newspaper articles.
- Susan, who submitted the Adam Friel Will
- Larry & Mary Ann Corder, for submitting their Work on Martha Willis descendants.
- Ellen Gammon is typing the Health Dept. Indexes for us.
- Michael L. Brown, for submitting many pages to the Families, and for all of his hard work and dedication submitted: Cumpston, Filkins, Jenkins, Lambert, Martin, Miller, Nance, Platt.
- Sharon Kouns who helped with a lot of misc. files.
- Thelma J. Cooper submitted the McCoy murders.
- Mary E. Coss Staley sent in Gillett Family files.
- Christos Christou, Jr. for sending some of his families obituaries.
- Tom Keys submitted Keys Family Files.
- Sherry sent in Newton Family Bible.
- Annie Marie typed in many obituaries and submitted them.
- Cindy A. Friley sent in Friley Civil War material.
- Teresa Scott Scoggins sent in tombstone photos.
- Earl Shockley submitted Shockley files.
- Linda Cunningham Fluharty, sent in several obits.
- Brenda Rambacher Slone, also sent in several obits.
- Nancy Marks Baumgarner submitted several Gillett obits.
- Robert Kingery submitted St. Mary’s Baptism Records and more
- Richard Skinner sent Samuel Hunter Family
- Kurt Hibler typed the Lawrence Mill Explosion story
- Stephen H. Martin helping with cemetery stuff
- Ann Hunt sent misc. obits
- Jim Fathbruckner helped with marriage indexes
- Irene (Rose) Warner sent obit
- Gary C. Robertson added Hankins marriages
- Barbara Shea
- Ann Hunt
- Susan Alexander
- Melissa Girardot
- Dave Milem
- Jean Grieson
- Tom Adkins
- Roberta Brumfield
- Sandra Nobles
- Ray Honaker
- Clarke Ketter
- Minnie Anderson
- Joyce Bradley
- Carolyn Hess
- Martha Sisler
- John Schweickart
- Vicki McCraken
- Larry McGuire
- James Dameron for his great advice