SHORT STORY SERIES
OF OUR CITY FROM REGISTER FILES
Early Election - Personal Notes - The Rolling
Mill - Ironton's Population at Twenty-two Months.
(Author not named)
Ironton Register, March 17, 1904
South of the Ohio Iron & Coal Company's land, which became the
plat of Ironton, lay the land owned by the late W. D. Kelly, which
extended to a point probably near Fifth and Oak streets, and back to
the hills in the rear of the fair grounds, now Beechwood Park.
Adjoining the Kelly land was what was known as the Heplar strip, then
came the Parker and Kemp lands. From thence to Cemetery lane came
Lombard, owned by John Campbell, which took its name from a stately
row of poplars that once graced its entire frontage on Third street.
This land is all now included in the city of Ironton.
Referring to the Register of April 10, 1851, we note that at the
time Ironton was incorporated, the auditor of Lawrence county was J.
C. Terry, who seems to have been a man much interested in its
development and welfare.
In this issue two deaths are recorded: "On the 4th inst., in this
town of fever, Mrs. Emeline, wife of Edward Campbell, age 21."
"On the 9th inst., of fever, Mr. Ebenezer Corwin, aged about 60,
one of our best, firmest and most worthy citizens."
During the month news went forth that must have been interesting
in-__ to the voters of those days, and aroused, perhaps, as much if
not more, excitement and comment than does such news at the present
time. This was a notice reading as follows:
"TOWN ELECTION - The first election of town officers will take
place on Saturday, April 19, at which time a Mayor, Recorder and five
Trustees are to be elected, constituting together the council.
Township election - On Monday, the 7th inst., the following persons
were elected for this Upper township, viz., Trustees, John Kyle,
Shepard Duke, Fletcher Golden; Clerk, Henry J. Clark; Assessor, Andrew
Holliday; Treasurer, T. W. Means; Constables, J. K. Kidd and William
"John D. Heckard has opened a tailoring shop over Irwin & Kelly's
store, No. 6, Union Block."
"April 17, 1851 - Married, at Burlington, Iowa, on the 1st inst.,
by Rev. _. L. Ingersoll, J. W. Roberts, Esq., of Ironton, O., and Miss
Caroline Sherley, of the former place."
Here is the record of the marriage of a man well remembered by many
for his business aims and successes in more than one line:
"At Cincinnati, O., on the eighth inst., Mr. Joseph S. Peebles, of
Hanging Rock, O., and Miss Nancy F. Lodwick, of Cincinnati, O."
"Locals - Please notice the advertisement of the Saddle and Harness
shop by William Nixon, which appears in today's issue."
"Stephen Evans and Robert Allen offers in this issue to execute
plain and ornamental plastering."
In the same issue, quite a long article tells of a destructive fire
in Cincinnati, on April 9, whereby Campbell, Ellison & Co., of
Lawrence county, lost from $3,000 to $5,000 on goods in warehouse
"The Ironton Rolling Mill is a fixed fact. Mr. Pugh, one of the
company, is now in town. The main building 150 x 105 feet, is being
framed in Pittsburg, and will be here about the first of May. Ho for
the first Rolling Mill of Ironton! There will soon be another."
New Anti-Saloon Law - The late act of the Legislature restrains the
sale of spirituous liquors. The law takes effect on May 1st, after
which date, all license to sell intoxicants will be of no effect."
"Population of Ironton - 'Ironton will never be a town.' 'They will
never do anything there.' It will never be a place of any account,'
have been heard from various quarters so often that the expressions
are as familiar as household words. Well, last week we took the town
census, for our own satisfaction, and found - what? 933 inhabitants,
and Ironton is not yet twenty-two months old."
"Iron Railroad - Work is still going on. Ten miles of the road is
graded and ready for track, with the exception of the tunnel on the
seventh mile. This extends the road to Lawrence Furnace.
"At the tunnel work is carried on by relays of men, night and day,
and we think that five weeks hence, a passage will be made through the
hills, the depth of the coal vein, to-wit: 5 feet.
"S. Daniels is now engaged on track laying, three miles of which is
already down, and will complete it to the tunnel, when a locomotive
can be used for that distance. All in all, we are fully satisfied that
the Road can be completed to Lawrence Furnace by September 1st."
Editor Stimson believed in always speaking well of his home town;
and he kept regular tally of its growth and progress, as persons who
have been reading this series of articles may have noticed. He not
only did this through his paper, as editor, but was personally active
in temperance work and the cause of education. Yet he was not a man to
ignore public faults or foibles, and when there was just cause for
criticism, or disapproval of any act he hesitated not to sound a note
of warning in no uncertain tone. Many glimpses of the man's capacity
for good is revealed in the records left by Mr. Stimson fifty years