Belfont Furnace was operated by the Belfont Iron Works. The furnace was located between Madison and Jefferson Streets from Second Street to the river in Ironton. Belfont Iron Works was located across town at Second and Hecla streets (now the City Garage). 
Click Here to read about the iron works associated with the furnace. 


This Google Maps image shows where Belfont Furnace was
Present view of Belfont Furnace site…standing on the flood wall looking toward 2nd Street.
This is on the river bank behind the furnace site; looks like it was a loading dock
Old DT&I tracks crossing Jefferson St. between Front St (1st St) and 2nd St.


There are some typos in the above article…Morton should be Norton. It is also interesting to note that Col. E.M. Norton’s brother and business partner, George Norton, was tragically killed in a steamboat accident. Here’s the story:Ironton Journal, Jan. 8, 1868 – TERRIBLE EXPLOSION: STEAMER HARRY DEAN BLOWN UP
And Burned To the Water’s Edge, Twelve or Thirteen Lives Lost, Large Number Wounded.

On Saturday last a gloom was suddenly cast over our entire community by a dispatch from Gallipolis, announcing that our fellow-citizen, Capt. G. W. Norton, president of the Belfont Iron Works Company, together with R. M. Biggs, was among the lost on the ill-fated steamer Harry Dean, which exploded her boilers about two miles below that place. The steamer Telegraph was chartered by the Belfont Iron Works Co., accompanied by a number of citizens, proceeded at once to the scene of the disaster. At Burlington, she met the Victor No. 4, but she had left Gallipolis just as the Harry Dean landed and did not know of the explosion. After thorough investigation it was ascertained pretty conclusively that Mr. Norton had been blown overboard, as two or three papers were found below the wreck washed ashore, which he had in his pocket at the time.

There is no event so much to be deplored as his loss to our community at this time, and the sudden manner his taking off, make our regrets the more acute.

Ironton Journal, Jan. 11, 1871 – One Randolph McDonald, from about Center Furnace, wandered intoxicated into Belfont Furnace last Monday night and was found yesterday morning near one of the gas conductors, dead. Jury was called and rendered the following verdict: “That we, do find the deceased, Randolph McDonald, came to his death by intemperance, exposure and inhaling gas escaping from the ground conductor at Belfont Furnace.”

Ironton Register, February 28, 1878 – The Belfont Furnace made last week, 325 tons pig, and did it on 49.8 bushels fuel per ton of pig, using but one-fourth Iron Mountain ore. Where is the furnace that can show a smaller quantity of fuel per ton of pig? The average for several weeks will not exceed 52 bushels. They received on last Monday, 100,000 bushels of coke.

Ironton Register, October 1, 1885 – Fire was started in Belfont stack, last Tuesday, for the purpose of drying it out. The stack has been entirely overhauled – new hearth, inwall and lining complete. The hearth and top have been reduced a little but the bosh remains the same. The furnace is now supposed to be in better fix than ever before. It has also a new bell. The furnace will probably start this Fall sometime. The company have about 18,000 tons of ore at their mines, which they will work up, if business gets so they can do it. They have no coke as yet.

Ironton Register, November 19, 1885 – Belfont furnace blew in on Monday and made her first cast Tuesday morning – ten or twelve tons of No. 2. Mr. Rodgers says she is working well.

Ironton Register, November 26, 1885 – (Iron News) – Belfont furnace is running along nicely, making about 50 tons a day.

Ironton Register, January 14, 1886 – Belfont Furnace is now running on 30 per cent of Missouri Ore.







Some of the iron furnace men evolved into cement making men….to read more about this connection (and about SG Gilfillan and Samuel Brady Steece)… HERE. 

Belfont Furnace was dismantled in 1935.