McCauley Family of Ironton, Ohio
The McCauley Family of Ironton began with the
arrival of Patrick and Margaret McCauley from Ireland sometime before
1860. Patrick J. McCauley was born on March 28, 1827 in County Cavan,
Ireland, being the son of John and Rose Flemming McCauley. Margaret (Davey)
McCauley was born October 2, 1837 in County Sligo, Ireland.
Patrick found work in the pig-iron blast furnaces where jobs were
plentiful. The McCauleys lived in a small cottage at the corner of
Sixth and Railroad Streets in Ironton. Here there four children were
born, Frank Leonard, Michael, Ella, and Rose McCauley.
Margaret McCauley died September 30, 1879, just two days before her
42nd. birthday. Patrick died November 1, 1884. Patrick and Margaret
were members of St. Lawrence Church, and are buried in Sacred Heart
Patrick's and Margaret's oldest son, Frank, was born July 10, 1860.
Frank McCauley took charge of the family after his father's death. His
first job was as a peddler in an iron mill. Frank married Mary
Goldcamp and they had one son, John A. McCauley. Mary died just two
days after John was born. As Frank was a struggling young widower,
John was raised by his maternal grandparents.
Frank married Mary Theresa Englehart, a Meigs County girl, on
January 1, 1889. At the time of their marriage, Frank was
vice-president of the German Furniture Company in Middleport, Ohio.
Frank and Mary Theresa moved back to Ironton into the cottage at
Sixth and Railroad Streets which had been left to Frank on the death
of his father. Now back in Ironton, he started his own business, the
F. L. McCauley Furniture Company which was originally located on Front
Street. About 1900, the McCauley Furniture Store moved to the corner
of Second and Center Streets where it is still located today. The
McCauley family then moved to the house at 121 North Fifth Street, at
the corner of Railroad Street, between the Presbyterian and the
Frank and Mary Theresa had three children, Francis Joseph McCauley,
Hazel Marie McCauley, and Helen Louise McCauley. Francis married
Esther DeFleuter, a native of Galion, Ohio. Hazel married Dr. Richards
E. Amos, a native of Ironton and the grandson of William C. Amos and
Dr. Owen Ellison. Helen married Louis E. Halley, a native of Ironton
and the son of David and Mary Ellen Halley.
Frank L. McCauley became one of the leading business men in
Ironton. In addition to owning the McCauley Furniture Company, he held
the following positions at one time or another: President of the
Marting Iron and Steel Company, member of the Board of Directors of
the Kelly Nail and Iron Company, Vice-President of the E. J. Merrill
Drug Company, Vice-President of the Citizens National Bank, Director
of Safety for the City of Ironton, and Treasurer of the Chamber of
Commerce. He also belonged to the Elks, the Knights of St. George, and
the Knights of Columbus.
Frank McCauley died May 1, 1944 at age 86. Mary Theresa died August
28, 1955 at age 92. They are buried in Woodland Cemetery, Ironton.