LAWRENCE COUNTY OHIO
Pvt. William “Almon” WHITE, Civil War, Co. B, 1st Regiment, Missouri State Militia — b. 14 Jun 1814 Lawrence co, OH; d. 7 Oct 1864 Daviess co, MO; bur. there.
He m. 18 Feb 1835 Lawrence co, OH, Mary BURK, dau. of William and Mary “Polly” (NEAL) BURK. Mary (BURK) WHITE is said to have been b. 5 Feb 1818 in Lawrence Co, however other evidence suggests she may have been b. in either Scioto Co. or MD or VA. She died 15 Mar 1874 Newton, Jasper Co, IA and was bur. there.
NOTE: Mary’s brother, Andrew BURK, m. Almon’s sister, Cynthia WHITE.
The children of Almon & Mary (BURK) WHITE were:
1. Sarah Louise, b. 29 Jan 1836 Lawrence Co, OH; d. 3 Mar 1911 Independence, Jackson Co, MO; m. 5 Apr 1855 Anamosa, Jones Co, IA, James W. McVAY s/o William & Jerusha (EASTLACK) McVAY.
2. Pvt. Alfred (Civ War), b. 20 Feb 1837 Symmes tp, Lawrence Co, OH; d. 18 Jun 1922 Independence, MO; m. 20 Jun 1861 Gallatin, Daviess Co, MO, Elizabeth TRUSSELL d/o Martial & Elizabeth TRUSSELL.
3. Mary Ann, b. 2 Feb 1839 Waterloo, Symmes tp, Lawrence Co, OH; d. 23 Feb 1919 Independence, MO; m. 17 Feb 1861 Harrison Co, MO, Pvt. Benjamin Abbott ATWELL (Civ War) s/o William & Martha (QUIGLEY) ATWELL.
4. Isaac Newton (“I.N.”) (Civ War home guard), b. 27 Dec 1841 Lawrence Co, OH; d. 3 Dec 1925 Independence MO; m. 16 Aug 1865 Jasper Co, IA, Emily “Emma” TRUSSELL d/o Martial & Elizabeth TRUSSELL.
5. Samuel Joshua, b. 22 Apr 1843 OH; d. (?1921). 6. Lucinda Jane, b. 22 May 1845 Lawrence Co, OH; d. 6 Jan 1929 Independence, MO; m. 21 May 1865 Daviess Co, MO, Wilson Shannon LOAR (Civ War).
7. Talmon Rufus, b. 10 Jan 1848 OH (prob. Lawrence Co); d. 29 Dec 1924 (?) Independence, MO; m. ca. 1872 Mary E. RICHMOND.
8. Nancy Elizabeth (“Lizzie Cook”), b. 28 Jul 1850 Chillicothe, Livingston Co, MO; d. 17 Apr 1926 Benedict, York Co, NE; m. 18 Aug 187 Chillicothe, MO, William McCONNELL s/o James & Malinda (BOHALL) McCONNELL.
9. David Curtiss (“D.C.”), b. 12 Sep 1852 Bowen’s Prairie, Jones Co, IA; d. 16 Nov 1939 (?); m. 15 Apr 1876 Edenville (now Rhodes), Marshall Co, IA, Anna Delphine BREWER.
10. Eliza Howell, b. 5 Sep 1855 Jones Co, IA; d. 16 Nov 1948 Berkeley, Alameda Co, CA; m. 1) 12 Jun 1873 Newton, Jasper Co, IA, James David (“J.D.”) SMITH s/o James David & Hannah SMITH; m. 2) Henry Perrier MACAULAY.
11. James Pascal, b. 2 Sep 1857; d. 17 Nov 1857.
12. William Almond Ortibon, b. 27 Nov 1858 Gallatin, MO; d. 31 Mar 1933 Independence, MO; m. 13 Jun 1893 Lesan, Ringgold Co, IA, Bertha Elizabeth GARD d/o John Vanlouven & Sarah Adelaide (DANN) GARD.
All these lived to maturity (except James Pascal) and had issue (except perhaps Samuel Joshua whose story remains unknown).
Almon contracted a disease in the army and never recovered. His family was denied a pension because it could not be proven that the army was at fault.
In 1864 he was living in Gallia Co with his brother, Rufus, and trying to get well enough to return home to MO. While he was away, bushwhackers burned his home and forced his wife and youngest children to find refuge with the family in Iowa. It is said that the youngest son, William A.O., was ill at the time the house was burned. It must have been the measles: there being snow on the ground at the time to magnify the light of the sun, William A.O. went blind after being lowered out of the loft window to escape the flames.