Philip and Maude (Yates) Smith Family
Submitted by Michael Moore email@example.com
My grandmother, Maude (Yates) Smith who lived in Hanging Rock prior to 1902 was a member of the Methodist Church there, and married Philip Callahan Smith, whose family lived in Ironton. She dictated the following to me some 45 years ago on a rainy Sunday afternoon:
1. Maude Smith (1881-1966) was one of 8 children born to James Buchanan Yates (1856-1901) and Anna Perry (1857-1946). James is buried in Hanging Rock cemetery and Anna in Greenlawn cemetery, Portsmouth. Also buried with James are Maude and the oldest of her 5 children, Ralph Smith (1903-1941).
2. James B. Yates was the third of 5 children (John, Joseph, James, Sarah, Newton) born to Isaac Yates and Rebecca Lundbach. James made charcoal for the iron furnaces in Hanging Rock.
3. Anna Perry Yates was the oldest of 6 children (Anna, John, George, William, Emma, Flora) born to Lindsay Perry and Cecilia Slimp. Cecelia was a cousin to Elizabeth Slimp, who was Lindsay’s first wife.
4. Elizabeth and Lindsay Perry had 4 children (Hannah, Rachel, Margaret [Meg], and Lindsay.
a. Hanna m. Sundoch (?) and had Alice and Emma
b. Rachel m. Henry Tulga and had Bertha, who m. James Yates. They had Walter (who m. Goldie ?)
and Charlotte, who m. George Barron; they lived in Ironton and were alive as of the 1960’s.
c. Margaret (Meg) m. Ad Christian and had 7 children (Cora, Perry, Celia, Lindsay, Jen, Harl, and Charles.
(i) Jen m. Clark Stewart and had 2 children (Harry and Donald
(ii) Charles m. Bess Jones
5. (Back to James Yates and Anna Perry) They had 8 children (Alan, Maude, Harry, Grover, Ross, Ruth, Kathryn, and Dorothy
a. Alan (d. 1935) m. Nettie Webb and had Lena, who m. Charles Hopkinson. Alan later m. Gulia Moore; they had 8 children (Agnes, Ruth, Katherine, Clarence, Garnet, Bob, Don, and Paul
(i) Agnes m. John Sizemore and had Michael and Corinne
(ii) Ruth m. Jack Cropper of Portsmouth and had 3 sons: Jack, David, and Jerry
b. Maude (1881-1966), my grandmother married Callahan Smith of Ironton in 1902 and had 5 kids. Callihan (1882-1949) had a brother John and a twin sister, Callie, of Ironton. His parents, Henry and Sue
(i) Ralph (d. 1941) m. Jo Fields. No children
(ii) Helen (1905-1984) m. Bill Moore (1903-1938) son of Booker and Stella Moore in Catlettsburg, KY in 1929. They had one son Michael (me) b.1937 in Los Angeles, CA. After father’s death, Helen married
Bryant Sangston, of Toledo, OH. They divorced in 1950.
A. Michael m. Carol S. Chiles in 1962 in Van Wert, OH. Our children:
1. Sarah (1965) m. Ben Hirschl in 1986, divorced in 1993. Children are: Elizabeth (b. 1987)
and Paul (b. 1991). Sarah them m. Cooper Sherry of Tacoma, WA in 1998
2. Amy (b. 1966) living in Silver Spring, MD
3. Andrew (b. 1969) living in Falls Church, VA. Plans to m. Becky Barlow, Oct. 31, 1999.
4. Wesley (b.1974) living at home in Bowling Green.
(iii) Anna (1910-1963) m. Homer Watts and had Terry(b. 1931). They lived in Chillicothe. Terry
m. Ed. Millar and had Holly and Becky. Anna and Homer divorced; she then m. Chester
(Jim) Vincent of Chillicothe.
(iv) Philip (1917-1979) m. Jean Finein (b. 1924) of Rochester, NY. They had Deborah, who
married Jeff Bull. They had Kristen and Matthew. Deborah divorced and remarried.
(v) Susan Elizabeth died in 1919, aged 4 days — flu epidemic, probably)
c. Harry Yates (1883-1942) of Portsmouth, m. Sarah Davis. No children
d. Grover Cleveland Yates (1886-1958) was born in Coalton, and m. Lucy Bishop in 1933 and had
James. Grover later married Nell Praither and lived on Fifth St. in Portsmouth.
e. Ross Yates (d. ca. 1960) m. Nora Litteral and had Ben, Nora, Verna, and James. Ross later
f. Ruth (d. ca. 1970) m. Earl Lewis of Portsmouth. They had one son Ketchel
g. Kathryn (d. at 74) m. Lewis Adams and moved to Dayton. two children: Lewis, Jr. and Mary Ellen
Chifos (of Indianapolis)
h. Dorothy (1898-1966) m. Wm. Pixley of Portsmouth and had 2 children: Alice Ann and William, Jr. both of Dayton (as of 1966).
(i) Alice Ann m. Fred Freauf. Two children: Scott and Deborah
(ii) William, Jr. m. Jeanette Schultz (2 children by a previous m. Phil and Howard