Submitted by
Mike Murray
Attorney at Law
8555 Lamp Post Circle
Manlius, New York 13104
work phone: 315-671-1136


The Ironton Register, May 4 1893, Thursday

“Willie, the son of Thos.. J. Mulligan was drowned in Storms creek near Leighty’s slaughter house last Friday afternoon. He was on a small footbridge, that was separated from the shore by the back water, and accidentally fell from this into the deep water and soon sank. His companions alarmed, ran for aid, but it was too late. The body was soon extricated from its watery grave, and rolled on a barrel, but without avail. It was a very sad circumstance. Willie was a dear little fellow and a bright pupil.”

William H. MURRAY

Semi-Weekly (Ironton, Ohio) Register, Tuesday, June 26, 1917


William Murray. Son of Mrs. T.S. Murray died at 2 o’clock Saturday afternoon, at the family home on south Sixth street after a long illness. He is survived by his mother, and, brothers Cornelius of Chicago, Hugh, Ralph and Edward Murray, all well known young men. One sister, Miss Dollie, at home, also survives the deceased. Up to the hour of going to press the funeral arrangements have not been completed.”


The Morning Irontonian, Tuesday, June 23, 1914


D.L. Rupert, division freight agent of the D.T. & I.[Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad] of this city Monday morning received the resignation of Carl Cloran, former chief clerk to Mr. Rupert. The resignation was forwarded from Minneapolis, Minn., where Cloran is now located. The vacancy will be filled by F.C. Cronacher, who has been looking after the duties of the position since Carl left on his vacation to the northwest.

Carl is now located at Minneapolis and is in love with the place. His health necessitated his resignation here but he states that since he has located in Minneapolis he has regained twenty pounds of lost flesh and is in the best of health now.

Being from Ohio Carl naturally roots for Joe Willis when he pitches for Indianapolis in the American Association [Baseball] and he saw the big Coal Grove [Ohio] wonder defeat the Minneapolis team 16-4 Saturday.

Carl has a great deal of experience in the railroad work, having worked for two years at Russell [KY] in the C. & O. [Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad] offices, then as chief clerk to General H.A. Fidlar and E.C. Brooks and finally D.L. Rupert. He will continue railroad work in the northwest and his success is assured.”

Francis D. Breslin Murray

The Morning Irontonian, P. 4, January 23, 1923


Mrs. Francis D. Murray, widow of the late T.S. Murray, died at her home, 2218 south Sixth Street at 3:30 Monday morning. The deceased, who was seventy six years of age was born in Brown County, Ohio, but had resided here practically all her life.

A gracious mother one whose interest was always centered on her family and their accomplishments, Mrs. Murray was a kindly, loveable, gentlewoman who enjoyed the affection and esteem of all who were privileged to know her and to those, who were unaware of her critical illness, the announcement of her passing will come as a shock. The following children survive: Mrs. F.C. Brawley, of Columbus; Francis at home; Edward of Columbus; and Ralph and Hugh of this city.

Mrs. Murray was a life long and devoted member of St. Lawrence church and the funeral services will be held there at 9:00 o’clock Wednesday morning with interment in Sacred Heart Cemetery.”

Thomas Mulligan

The Ironton Tribune, p. 5, January 23, 1928


Thomas Mulligan, son of the late Mr. And Mrs. Terrence Mulligan of city, died at a Columbus, Ohio hospital Saturday night after an operation had been performed in an effort to remove injuries sustained in a fall several months ago. He lacked the strength necessary for the operation and died peacefully at 10 p.m.

He was 42 years of age and will be remembered by many Ironton friends as he spent his boyhood and early manhood here, the family residing at Fourth and Mill streets. He was employed at the mills, transfer company and Cloran grocery during his residence in this city.

He was the only boy in the family and had never married. His parents and one sister, Mrs. Anna Richardson, preceded him in death. Four sisters survive. Mrs. Mayme A’Brien [sic]; Mrs Rose Dahill and Katherine and Bertha Mulligan, all of Urbana [Ohio].

His body will be returned to Ironton on the noon N&W [Norfolk and Western] train Tuesday and will be taken to the home of his uncle, Martin F. Cloran of Seventh and Etna streets. Funeral services will be held at St. Lawrence church Wednesday morning at 9 o’clock. Burial will be made in Sacred Heart Cemetery under direction of O’Keefe and Company.”

Thomas J. Mulligan

The Morning Irontonian, p. 8, Tuesday, December 23, 1924.


T.J. Mulligan, 73, former resident of this city, and widely known here was stricken suddenly ill and died while attending mass at the Catholic church in Lima [Ohio], where he made his home. Mr. Mulligan was apparently in his usual health when he started to church and made no complaint of being ill.

Mr. Mulligan was born at Castle Douglas, Scotland, a son of Thomas and Mary Mulligan. The parents moved here during his childhood, and the greater part of his life was spent in this city, where he was engaged in the general contracting business. About eighteen years ago he moved to Lima, where he was associated with his son Matt A Mulligan in the contracting business until the time of his death. During his residence here he was one of the city’s most substantial business men, an estimable citizen who enjoyed the esteem of all who knew him, and his death will be a source of sorrow to his many friends. He was a lifelong member of the Catholic church and had been honored with high office in the Knights of Columbus.

He is survived by his wife, formerly Mary Anderson, a sister of Major Anderson of this city, and the following children: Matt A. and Lillian of Lima; John, of Fort Wayne, Ind.; Leonard, of Detroit, Mich., and Clarence of Texas. In addition to these, he is survived by one brother and one sister, O.F. Mulligan and Mrs. Patrick Lynch, both of this city.

The remains will arrive here Wednesday noon over the Norfolk & Western [Railroad] and will be taken to the home of Mrs. Lynch on North Fifth street. The funeral services will be at ST. Lawrence church Friday morning at 9:00 o’clock with interment in Sacred Heart cemetery by O’Keefe & Co.”

Owen Mulligan, Sr.

Semi-Weekly Irontonian, Friday, October 25, 1907


The Ohio State Journal of Thursday morning gives the following notice of the death of a former resident:

Owen Mulligan, Sr., aged 78 a retired business man, who spent a score of years our of his 78 in Columbus, died yesterday at the home of his son, James, 220 North Washington avenue. Death was due to advanced age. Before coming to Columbus Mr. Mulligan was a resident of Ironton.

A widow and eight children as follows, survive: James, Patrick Jr.[sic], Thomas, Owen Jr., Benjamin, John, Mrs. James McEvoy and Mrs. J. A. Poeian[?]. All live in Columbus save Thomas whose home is in Portsmouth [Ohio]. There are 32 grandchildren surviving.

Mr. And Mrs. Mulligan celebrated their 58th wedding anniversary on June 1 last. No arrangements have been made for the funeral, but it will be held from St. Patrick’s church of which Mr. Mulligan was a member for years.

The deceased was an uncle of Messrs. Owen and Terrance Mulligan and Mrs. Patrick Lynch of this city and T.J. Mulligan of Lima, O. He was a native of Ireland and was married there. He came to Ironton direct from the old country and was for many years employed as a puddler in the old Lawrence Mill. He was highly esteemed in this community where he resided until about fifteen or twenty years ago, when he went to Columbus to make his home with his son and daughter-in-law, Mr. And Mrs. James Mulligan. He was the last of the older generation of the Mulligan family in this section, his brothers, Patrick and Thomas passed away some years ago. Messrs. Owen and Terrance Mulligan and Mrs. Lynch have gone to Columbus to attend the funeral which will be at 9 a.m. Saturday from St. Patrick’s church.

The news of Mr. Mulligan’s death will be received with sincere regret by numerous relatives in this city and his friends among the pioneers of Ironton.”

Terrence Mulligan

The Morning Irontonian, Wednesday January 29, 1913.


After a brave struggle for almost a year against a complication of diseases, Terrence O. Mulligan, of Fourth and Mill streets, calmly gave up the struggle, shortly before ten o’clock Tuesday morning and his soul took his flight back to the creator.

Mr. Mulligan was one of the best known residents of the city and his host of friends, for all who knew him were his friends, will join in extending heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved family.

The deceased was a member of St. Lawrence church and was always a faithful and devoted worker for the general good. He was a member of the A.O.H. [Ancient Order of Hibernians] and his loss will be sadly felt by that order.

Mr. Mulligan was born in Hartlepool, Eng. and when but a lad of tender years emigrated to this country and very early came to Ironton where he has since resided. He was united in marriage to Mrs. Mary Anna Cloran and to them the following children were born: Mrs. J. R. O’Bryan and Mrs. Dahill of Urbana [Ohio]; Mrs. Dr. D. J. Richardson of Ashland, Ky., Katherine, Bertha and Thomas at home. Two brothers, T. J. Of Lima, Ohio and Owen of this city survive, and a sister, Mrs. O.J.[sic] Lynch of North Fifth street survive along with a devoted wife.

The last sad rites which will be arranged later will be held at St. Lawrence church.”

Sabina Mulligan

The Ironton Tribune, p.10; Wednesday, January 12, 1927


Miss Sabina Mulligan of Columbus, Ohio, daughter of the late Mr. And Mrs. Patrick Mulligan, died at the St. Anthony hospital in Columbus Tuesday morning after suffering an attack of acute indigestion. Announcement of her death was received by Ironton relatives and friends Tuesday afternoon coming as a distinct shock as she had been in fairly good health.

Miss Mulligan was 66 years of age and was born and reared in Ironton. She moved to Columbus with her parents years ago but will be remembered by many friends. Her father and mother and three sisters preceded her in death and she was the last of her family.

She was a first cousin of Mr. O.F. Mulligan of north Seventh street and of Mrs. P. J. Lynch of north Fifth Street. During recent years she had been boarding at St. Anthony hospital, where death came.

Her body will be brought to Ironton on the noon N. & W. [Norfolk & Western] train Wednesday and will be taken to the O’Keefe funeral parlors. The casket will be opened there so Ironton friends may view the body for the last time, after which burial services will be held in Sacred Heart cemetery. Mr. And Mrs. James Mulligan and Miss Anna McDonough of Columbus will accompany the body to this city.”

Infant Daughter of Leonard Mulligan

The Morning Irontonian, Sunday October 3, 1915.


Mary Jane, the infant daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Leonard Mulligan (nee Marguerite Casey), of Eighth and Buckhorn street, died Saturday morning and was buried in Sacred Heart cemetery. The child was but four days old.”

The Morning Irontonian, January 18, 1916

“Mrs. Marguerite Mulligan

Death claimed the spirit of Mrs Marguerite Casey Mulligan, wife of Leonard Mulligan and daughter of James Casey at 9 o’clock Sunday morning at her home at Eighth and Buckhorn Streets.

Mrs. Mulligan was ill several months prior to her death. A large circle of friends will mourn her death. Mrs. Mulligan was a member of the St. Lawrence church, and the funeral will be held from that church Wednesday morning at nine o’clock with Rev. Father Cotter officiating.

After the birth of a child in October, which died four days later, the deceased became ill and the time afterward was spent in an unequal struggle against the inevitable.

The husband, her parents and a brother, Terry Casey, survive Mrs. Mulligan’s untimely death.

Interment will be in Sacred Heart cemetery.”

Mary Ann Cloran Mulligan

The Morning Irontonian, page 3, July 18, 1924


“Early Thursday morning the spirit of Mrs. Mary Ann Mulligan passed to the Great Beyond, the end coming at the home at Urbana, O., after a lingering illness. It’s announcement came as a shock to the many Ironton friends.

The deceased for the past months has been steadily failing in health but local friends were unaware her condition was so serious. Mart F. Cloran, a brother, started for Urbana yesterday morning but his sister had died before he reached her side.

Mrs. Mulligan, widow of the late Terrance Mulligan, resided for many years at Fourth and Hecla streets and was known to a majority of the residents of Ironton. She married Mr. Mulligan here and all her children were born in Ironton. A few years ago the family moved to Urbana, Ohio after the children had grown to maturity. Months ago the mother was stricken ill but she bore her suffering as only a Christian mother can; uncomplaining and ever thoughtful of those about her. Her heart was open to all and there are those in Ironton who will not forget some little act of kindness; a few words of advice and the helping hand always extended to those with whom she was acquainted. Her Christian life and noble attributes have won for her that reward in the Great Beyond, friends know.

The deceased was about 74 years of age and is survived by the following children: Mrs. Mayme O’Bryan, Miss Kate Mulligan, Miss Bertha and Thomas Mulligan and Mrs Rose Dahill of Urbana, and Mrs. Dr. Richardson of Ashland, Ky. Mart F. Cloran, Joseph and Luke Cloran, all of this city, are brothers.

The remains of Mrs. Mulligan will arrive in Ironton at noon today and funeral services will be held at St. Lawrence church Saturday morning. Burial in Sacred Heart cemetery will be in charge of O’Keefe and Co.

The body will be taken to the home of Mr. And Mrs. M. F. Cloran at 7th and Etna streets upon its arrival in this city.”

Mrs. Leo Mulligan

The Morning Irontonian, p. 5, Wednesday July 23, 1924


Mrs. Leo Mulligan, 26, died at 9:30 Tuesday evening at her home at 842 North Fifth street after a week’s illness which dated from the birth of a baby son on July 6th.

Mrs. Mulligan was formerly Miss Marcella Stuntebeck, a daughter of Mrs. Mary Stuntebeck of Sedgwick and was one of the most popular of the city’s young matrons. A charming young woman of lovable disposition and gracious manner she possessed all those attributes which make and retain friends and the news of her death will cause genuine sorrow to all who knew her.

The deceased was born and raised here and was educated in the St. Joseph Parochial schools. She was a devout Catholic and from childhood until her marriage just three years ago had been a member of St. Joseph church, when she transferred her membership to St. Lawrence.

In addition to her mother and her grief stricken young husband, Mrs. Mulligan is survived by her two babies, Owen, aged 2 and Leo, Jr., just eight days old, two brothers, Clermont, at home; Leo of Huntington, W. Va., and one sister, Florian, at home. One brother, Norbert, preceded her in death.

The funeral arrangements [have] not been made last night and will be announced later. The services will probably be held Friday. Interment will be under the direction of O’Keefe and Company.”

[from The Morning Irontonian, Thursday, July 25, 1924]

“Funeral services for Mrs. Leo Mulligan who died Tuesday night, will be held at St. Joseph Church, Friday Morning at eight-thirty. Interment will be in Sacred Heart cemetery under the direction of O’Keefe & o [sic].”

Luke Cloran, Sr.

The Morning Irontonian, Tuesday, August 29, 1911


Luke Cloran Sr., for over half a century one of Ironton’s upright honorable citizens closed his eyes in everlasting sleep Sunday night at eleven o’clock at the home of his daughter Mrs. Owen Mulligan of Seventh and Hecla streets.

Mr. Cloran was past seventy years of age and his death was due to the infirmities of old age.

Mr. Cloran was born in Ireland and emigrated to this country in the early Fifties. He came to Cincinnati, went to Kentucky for a brief season of work and then in 1855 came to Ironton, where he resided continuously until his death. He was employed as a brick layer’s attendant at the mills for more than twenty-five years, but for a number of years past he has been to aged and infirm for active pursuits. Until her removal from the city and later her death, Mr Cloran resided with his daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth McCarty. He was widely known in Ironton and was an estimable and highly esteemed citizen.

Surviving Mr. Cloran are the following children: Mrs. Owen Mulligan of Ironton, Mrs. James Mulligan of Columbus. F. Cloran of Oregon and Mrs. Anna Colin (sic) of Charleston, W. Va. Deceased children are: Mrs. Elizabeth McCarthy (sic), Mrs. James Casey and John Cloran.

The funeral services will be held at St. Lawrence church Wednesday morning and the interment will be in Sacred Heart cemetery.

All the children of the deceased have been notified of the father’s death and all with the possible exception of Frank, who is in Oregon, will be here for the funeral.”

Matthew A. Cloran

The Morning Irontonian, Wednesday, Feb. 15, 1922


Tuesday morning at six o’clock Mr. Matthew A. Cloran of north Sixth street responding to the call of his Master, passed to the Great Beyond. His death followed an illness of over a year’s duration and while it was not wholly unexpected the announcement was received with genuine sorrow for Matt Cloran as he was known to his friends was popular among them. He had the happy faculty of making and retaining friendships through his cordial, courteous disposition and as a result his friends were legion and in his passing Ironton loses one of her most prominent and well known citizens. His cheerful happy disposition was reflected in his conduct during his long and trying illness; he never complained and was always in the brightest and best of spirits.

Mr. Cloran was engaged in the grocery business in this city for years and until failing health compelled him to retire from active work. He also took an active interest in the civic affairs of the city; in politics he devoted his attention to the affairs of the Democratic party, serving in the offices entrusted him with great efficiency.

On June 2, 1887, he was united in marriage to Miss Catherine A. Ward of this city, and to this union were born nine children. The devoted wife and six children are left to mourn the loss of a loving companion and revered father: Nellie, of Washington, D.C.; Mrs. John P. Maloney, of Cleveland, Owen M., of the Order of Jesuits, St. Louis University, John, Margaret and Matthew at home. He also leaves three brothers, Mart F., Joseph J. and Luke W. of this city and one sister, Mrs. Mary Molligan (sic- actually Mulligan) of Urbana (Ohio). Mr. Cloran was a member of Watterson Council, Knights of Columbus, and the Modern Woodmen of America. He was a faithful and consistent member of St. Lawrence Church.

No arrangements have been made for the funeral but it will take place from St. Lawrence Church under the direction of O’Keefe & Co. Interment will be in Sacred Heart Cemetery.”

Owen Killoran

The Ironton Tribune, Friday September 28, 1928, p. 8.


Patrick Killoran of north Sixth street today received word notifying him of the death of his brother Owen, of New York City. Mr. Killoran has many friends in the city as he has visited with his brother and other relatives here on several occasions and his death will come as a decided shock to all. Since coming to this country from Ireland many years ago he spent practically all of his time in New York.

Mr. Patrick Killoran accompanied by his brother John, of Covington, Ky., left this afternoon to attend the funeral which will likely be held Monday at New York.”

Nellie Cloran

The Ironton Tribune, Sunday, October 24, 1926


Nellie M. Cloran, daughter of Mrs. M. A. Cloran, died at her home at 505 north Sixth street Saturday evening after an illness of several weeks duration that only became critical during the past two weeks.

Miss Cloran was born in this city and practically her entire life was spent here. She received her education at the St. Lawrence school and later finished a business course here. For four years she was employed in the government insurance bureau at Washington, D.C.

Returning here she devoted her time to assisting her mother in the care of her home and her main interest in life was centered there and in the welfare of the other members of the family. She was a lifelong and devoted member of St. Lawrence Catholic church and a member of the Young Ladies’ Sodality of that congregation.

Her life was one of service and she devoted it to caring for those she loved without thought of self. Always cheerful, she bore the critical turn in her illness with fortitude and the end came peacefully and quietly, ending a life that in itself was a benediction.

She is survived by her mother and the following brothers and sisters: Matthew and John at home; Owen M. Cloran, S.J., theological student at Rockhurst Catholic College, Kansas City, Mo..; Mrs. J. P. Maloney and Mrs. F. J. Zidar, both of Cleveland, O.

The funeral arrangements had not been completed Saturday night but will be held at St. Lawrence church, probably Tuesday morning at 9 o’clock, with interment in Sacred Heart cemetery under the direction of O’Keefe and Company.”

Joseph J. Cloran

The Ironton Tribune, p. 2, Thursday, June 21, 1928


Joseph J. Cloran, 61, pioneer business man and probably one of the most widely known men in the city, died Wednesday evening at 8:50 o’clock at his home at 826 north Fifth street after an extended illness. Mr. Cloran had been in failing health for the past several years but his illness only became critical during recent months and he had been confined to his bed for the past seven weeks.

Although his death was not unexpected it came as a grievous shock to his family and immediate friends. The early part of the week his condition became such that relatives were forced to abandon hope for his recovery. His only daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Cloran Sites, personally attended him during his illness but despite every attention that loving hands could tender his condition steadily grew worse and culminated in his death Wednesday evening.

Joseph J. Cloran was born September 13, 1869, a of the late Owen and Catherine (Carey) Cloran, who came here from Ireland., and was one of a family of ten children. Four sisters and three brothers preceded him in death. He received his education in the St. Lawrence parochial schools and at an early age began life as a furniture salesman with the C. C. Clark store where he early showed his business ability. He resided here all his life with the exception of two years. For one year he was associated with a clothing establishment in St. Louis, and he was also stock manager for one year for the Dunker Truck company of Cincinnati.

Returning here he engaged in the grocery business with his brother, Martin F. Cloran, on Third and Lawrence streets where they built up a substantial business and later, in 1900, he opened his own grocery store on Railroad street and continued the business up to the time of his last illness. In 1899 he was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Barron, daughter of the late Mr. And Mrs. Thomas Barron, and to their union one child was born, Mrs. Elizabeth Cloran Sites, who survives him. Mrs. Cloran died September 21, 1903. He is also survived by two brothers, Martin F. Cloran and Luke W. Cloran, both of this city, the only two survivors of the family of ten.

By reason of his business associations Mr. Cloran was one of the most widely known men in the city. He was the possessor of a genial disposition, making friends of all with whom he came in contact. He was an able business man and a splendid citizen and his death is widely mourned by a wide circle of friends.

Mr. Cloran was a member of Watterson council, Knights of Columbus, and a live-long member of St. Lawrence’s Catholic church and was a member of the committee in charge of the installation of the chime bells when the edifice was constructed and the bells were tolled Wednesday evening at the hour of his death as a mark of respect.

The funeral services will be held Saturday morning at St. Lawrence’s church and burial will be made in Sacred Heart cemetery under the direction of Bingaman and Jones.”

Josephine (Johanna) Cloran

The Morning Irontonian, page 6, Friday, August 29, 1924


P. J. Killoran of North Sixth Street received word Wednesday of the death of his sister-in-law, Mrs. Josephine Cloran of Covington, Ky., wife of John Cloran of that city.

Announcement of Mrs. Cloran’s death came as a distinct shock to local relatives as they had received a letter just the day before telling of her safe arrival home after visiting at Ironton and Columbus. She left here two weeks ago, apparently in the best of health and just what cause her passing has not been learned, the telegram merely notifying Mr. Killoran of her death.

The deceased was born at Covington, Ky., but is well known here as she visited Ironton relatives often. She is survived by her husband, other relatives and a legion of friends. Owen Cloran of New York, formerly of this city, is also a brother in law.

Funeral services will be held at St. Patrick’s Cathedral at Covington Saturday morning at 9 o’clock, with burial there. Local relatives will attend.”

Ralph Cloran

The Morning Irontonian, p. 2, Saturday, July 8, 1911


The funeral services over the remains of Ralph A. Cloran, son of Mr. And Mrs. Matt A. Cloran, who died at an early hour Friday morning at his home on north Sixth street, will be held Monday morning at nine o’clock at St. Lawrence church where the deceased was a faithful member since early childhood.

While the death of Ralph did not come unexpectedly as he had been in failing health since early last fall it came as a decided shock to his parents, relatives and friends – and all who knew him were his friends, for he was a boy who won and held the respect of all with whom he came in contact. Honorable, straight forward, clear-minded and of a kindly, friendly disposition he was naturally a favorite. Especially was he popular with his classmates of the high school from which institution he would have been graduated last June had not his failing health necessitated his giving up his studies. He was not only proficient in his studies, but he was active in out-door sports as well and was a clever and capable member of the foot ball and baseball teams, being especially good as a foot ball player, he being one of the team’s star players.

His death coming just as he was entering into the threshold of young manhood – he would have been eighteen years of age next November – is extremely sad, yet it came as a blessed relief after his long, but patient suffering and found him ready for the journey to the World Beyond.

Throughout his illness, Ralph bore his affliction with a cheerfulness characteristic of him, and with a deep appreciation of the loving acts of kindness accorded him by his parents, relatives and friends.

The deceased is survived by his parents and four sisters, Nelle, Alice. Mabel and Margaret and four brothers, Carl, Owen, John and Matthew.”

John F. Cloran

The Ironton Register. Page 1, Thursday, October 2, 1902


John F. Cloran, whose accident at Marion, Ohio, shocked his friends in this city, found relief from his excruciating pain in the repose of death at 2:30 o’clock Monday afternoon, at the Marion hospital, to which he had been removed after the accident.

The circumstances attending the accident were substantially as follows: He had been to Columbus, visiting his sisters and friends and was returning to Lima. At Marion he left the train to get a lunch and the train started. He attempted to catch the second coach, but the vestibule had been closed and he was thrown backward. The last coach passed over him, cutting off both legs, one above the knee and the other at the ankle, and fracturing his skull. He retained consciousness to the last.

The remains arrived here over the Norfolk & Western [Railroad] Tuesday noon, accompanied by Mr. And Mrs. James Conley, Leo Conley, Mr. And Mrs. James Mulligan, Miss Patience Dolin, Frank Cloran and Owen Mulligan. They were taken to the home of the father of the deceased, Luke Cloran, Sr., of North Third street.

One particularly sad feature of the distressing accident, is that the deceased was looking forward to a day in October, when he would lead to the altar a charming bride, Miss Elizabeth Moiles of Columbus. The fiancée, so suddenly bereft of a lover’s affection, in company with her brother, James Moiles, and sister Miss Margaret Moiles arrived Tuesday evening to attend the funeral. A delegation of the Catholic Knights of Columbus of which the deceased was a member also arrived the same evening to take part in the funeral services. The funeral was held at the St. Lawrence Church at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Rev. Father Cotter officiating, and the remains were laid to rest in Sacred Heart cemetery.”

Kate Cloran

The Ironton Register, Thursday, September 24 1903


Mrs. Kate Cloran, wife of Joseph Cloran, died at her home on North Fifth street at 8:30 o’clock Monday morning, after a few days illness of rheumatism. Mrs. Cloran’s condition was not deemed serious until Sunday and her death was to some extent unexpected, even by members of the family.

The deceased was a daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Thomas Barron of North Seventh street and was 30 years of age. She was a member of St. Lawrence Church and was a woman of Christian character and many commendable qualities of heart and mind that endeared her to a host of friends. Besides the husband, one little daughter, Elizabeth, is left to mourn her death.”

Mabel Cloran

The Semi-Weekly Ironton Register, p. 1, Thursday, January 6, 1921


Miss Mabel G. Cloran, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Matt A. Cloran, died at her home on north Sixth street at an early hour this morning.

The deceased was a graduate of Ironton High School, class of 1913. After graduating from High School, she took up a post graduate course in commercial work and up until the time of her illness, held a very responsible position with the C. & O. [Chesapeake & Ohio] Railway at Russell, Ky.

She was a devoted member of the young Ladies’ Sodality of St. Lawrence church and the funeral will be held from there Friday morning at nine o’clock. Rev. Father Cotter, officiating. Burial in Sacred Heart cemetery.”

Carl M. Cloran

The Morning Irontonian, p. 7, Sunday, February 29, 1920


Carl M. Cloran passed away yesterday afternoon at 3:30 at his home on North Sixth street. He was the son of Mr. And Mrs. Matt A. Cloran and was one of Ironton’s most popular young business men. He has been ailing for the past several months and recently his condition grew quite serious so his death came as no great surprise to his many friends.

The deceased was twenty-eight years of age, being born in this city November 8, 1891. He received his early education in the St’ Lawrence parochial school. About three years ago he received an appointment in the government service in the office of the Fourth Assistant Postmaster in Washington, D. C. It was about this time that his health began to fail and he was transferred to the government employ in Tucson, Ariz. Finding the climate here (sic) not beneficial to him he returned home about two years ago and has remained here until the time of his death.

Mr. Cloran possessed an excellent ability in the clerical line of work and was considered as one of the best railroad men in the State of Ohio. He was formerly employed with the Pennsylvania lines in Columbus and a short time after he entered upon his duties here he won a promotion as chief clerk in these offices and remained until he received his appointment in the government service at Washington, D.C. He was the master of such a friendly disposition that he could boast of having a large circle of friends and to these his death will be a sad blow.

While home and during his illness he received the best of medical attention and aid but despite this fact he was called by his Eternal Savior. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and Holy Name Society and always tool an active part in the affairs of both these organizations up until the time of his illness. He was a devoted member of the St. Lawrence Church and from there the funeral services will be held Tuesday morning.

Besides his father and mother, he is survived by the following brothers and sisters. John and Matthew at home and Owen M. Cloran, S. J., who is in the Jesuit Order at Florissant, Mo.; Mabel and Margaret at home; Nellie, who is in the government service in Washington, D.C., and Mrs. J. P. Maloney, of Cleveland, O.”

Mary Mulligan

The Ironton Register, p. 1, Thursday, April 23, 1903


Mrs. Mary Mulligan, one of the oldest residents of Ironton, met with an untimely death at an early hour Monday morning.

Mrs. Mulligan had been living with her daughter, Mrs. Lynch, on Elm street, near the Eln Mattstreet bridge, and some time during the early hours of that morning she wandered from her home, down the creek bank, and owing to her advanced age and infirmities, fell into the waters of Storms creek and was drowned..

As soon as her absence was discovered, a search was instituted for the aged woman, and at 6 o’clock her body was found in the creek, very close to shore, and in not more than 12 inches of water.

Mrs. Mulligan was 97 years of age and for some time her mind had been affected by the infirmities of age, necessitating constant attention on the part of her relatives. She had frequently wandered away from home and it was thought that she would be found near the house when she was missed Monday morning.

The deceased was a native of Ireland, and came to Ironton from that country in 1868. She had since resided here and was one of the most respected residents of the community. She is survived by the following named children. Terrence, Owen and T. J. Mulligan, and Mrs. Lynch, besides a large number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren.”

Matt Cloran Family

The Morning Irontonian. P. 1, Thursday, June 22, 1911


Mr. and Mrs. Matt A. Cloran and sons Carl and Matthew, and John M. Ward, who makes his home with them on north Sixth street were victims of ptomaine poisoning Wednesday evening and for a time were in serious condition, the condition of Mr. Ward being especially grave. Tainted milk – of which all drank heavily at the noon meal is thought to have caused the poisoning,

Toward evening, Mr. Cloran and son Carl and Mr. Ward, who is Mrs. Cloran’s brother, each began to feel sick and went home about the same time where they found Mrs. Cloran and young son, Matthew, suffering the same as themselves. Dr. Dan Gray was summoned and although he responded promptly, by the time he reached the Cloran home those afflicted were awfully sick, although the two boys were not suffering as greatly as the older members of the family. They all responded to medical treatment in due time except Mr. Ward, who continued to suffer much pain until a late hour, when he became easier. At an early hour this morning, he was feeling better but still a very sick man.”

Owen Cloran, Sr.

The Ironton Register, p. 1, Thursday, December 12, 1902

“Owen Cloran, Sr., died Saturday night at the home of his son, Mart F, Cloran, at the corner of Seventh and Etna streets. The deceased was 93 years of age, and had been very feeble for the last two years. He was one of the pioneer residents of Ironton, having lived here almost sixty years, and was well and favorably known by all the older residents of the city.”

Benjamin F. Chinn

The Ironton Register, July 28, 1910


Benjamin F. Chinn, a highly respected and venerable resident of Russell and Greenup county, Ky., passed away very suddenly at eleven o’clock Wednesday evening in his home on Boyd street in Russell.

Mr. Chinn was about seventy-one years of age and last evening went to bed apparently as well as usual, although his infirmities have been showing on him for some time past. He was a whole- souled good natured man and everyone who knew Ben Chinn admired him for his agreeable disposition.

About thirteen years ago his wife crossed the great divide, followed closely by their daughter, Minnie.

Miss Sallie Chinn kept house for her father and was aroused from her sleep last evening by his hard breathing, and when she reached his bedside, he drew his last breath without saying a word.

Mr. Chinn at one time was a resident of this city, but for the past two years resided in Russell.

He was during his early days a progressive Greenup county farmer and the village, Chinnville, below Russell, is named after him.

The following ten children are left to survive him: Miss Sallie Chinn at home, Mrs. Lucy Leach of Russell, Mrs. Ella Macabee of….

Mollie Chinn

The Semi-Weekly (Ironton, Ohio) Register, Friday, August 10, 1917


Mollie Chinn, aged 37 and four months died at noon Thursday at her home at Wurtland (Ky.). Mrs. Chinn was the wife of Ewing Chinn and he with seven children, two sisters and one brother survive. The sisters are Mrs. Lena Coburn and Mrs. Virgie Ervin of Jackson, O., and the brother, Frank Burch (sic), an engineer of Russell, Ky. Mrs. Chinn gave birth to a child shortly before her death and the infant followed her in death a few hours afterwards.

The funeral will probably be held tomorrow, but definite arrangements have not yet been made. Carman Brothers are in charge of the remains.”

Luecretia Chinn

The Morning Irontonian, Sunday, August 27, 1911


Mrs. Luecretia Chinn, aged 70 years, who for many years lived in the old Chinn place below Russell, Ky., but who at her request was recently moved to the home of her son. “Bud” Chinn of Russell passed away Saturday evening, leaving behind ten children and many friends to mourn her demise. Mrs. Chinn. Who was a most estimable woman, has been failing in health for sometime, due to the infirmities of old age, recently expressed the wish that when her summons came that it would be at the home of her son “Bud”. Her wish was granted.

Mrs. Chinn was the widow of Thomas Chinn and was the mother of sixteen children ten of whom are living; among them William and Thomas of this city.”

Myrtle Chinn

The Daily Register (Ironton, Ohio), Thursday, October 17, 1912


Myrtle Chinn, the little daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth Chinn of Russell (Ky.), died in Richmond, Va., the early part of this week and the remains were brought to Russell on the noon C. and O. [Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad].

Mrs. Chinn is a widow and the child was visiting in Richmond, when it died. Interment will probably occur Friday.”

Richard Chinn

The Ironton Evening Tribune, p. 9, Friday, June 7, 1929


“Relatives in Russell received word Thursday morning of the death of Richard (Dick) Chinn, 20-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Chinn of Parkersburg, W. Va. Mr. Chinn met his death in an airplane accident at the Marietta airport. He is the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Chinn who are former residents of Russell and is a nephew of Mrs. Kirby Leach and Miss Sallie Chinn of Russell, and Mrs. John Mackebee of Raceland (Ky.).

Funeral services will be held in Parkersburg Saturday at three o’clock with burial in that city.”

Harry Lee Chinn

The Morning Irontonian, p. 3, Wednesday, November 19, 1919


Harry Lee Chinn, the one-month old child of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Chinn of Advance, Ky., died yesterday morning at home. The funeral services will occur this afternoon at the home, Rev. Cheay officiating. Burial will be made in Palmer Cemetery under the direction of Carman Bros.”

Earl Chinn, Jr.

The Morning Irontonian, p. 1, Sunday, June 6, 1920


A distressing tragedy which cost the life (of) Earl Chinn, Jr. fourteen-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Chinn of Advance (now Flatwoods) Ky. occurred about three o’clock Saturday afternoon on Indian Run, a short distance from Russell.

Earl and two other boys, young sons of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Callahan and Mr. and Mrs. Eli Adams had gone to Indian Run on a frog hunting trip. They had with them a 22-calibre Winchester repeating rifle. The magazine of the rifle became jammed and the Chinn boy and the Callahan boy were working with it when the weapon was accidentally discharged. The bullet passed through Earl Chinn’s wrist and then passed into his chest and directly through his heart, causing instant death.

Horrified at the fate of their young companion the Callahan and Adams boys ran tou the house of the nearest neighbor and the alarm was spread, many residents of the neighborhood soon being on the scene. Coroner Skuggs of Russell was called and held an inquest, deciding the death was due to accident. The body of the unfortunate youth was taken to Russell by Carman Bros. And prepared for burial after which it was removed to the home of his parents.

The father of the young victim was employed as a switchman in the C. & O. (Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad) yards at Russell but since the trouble there has been farming his place at Advance. The funeral arrangements have not yet been made.”


The Morning Irontonian, Tuesday, p. 6, June 8, 1920

“The funeral services of the late Earl Chinn of Advance, Ky., who was accidentally shot and killed last Saturday afternoon, were conducted yesterday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the M.E. Church at Advance, Rev. Cheap officiating. Burial was made in the Palmer cemetery under the direction of Carman Bros. The deceased was a member of the South Russell band, also a member of the M.E. Church. Members of the band and the Sunday School class of which he was a member, turned out in a body, each presenting beautiful floral tributes. Six boys from his Sunday School class acted as pallbearers.”

Cecil Buerl Chinn

The Morning Irontonian, p. 8, Wednesday, September 8, 1920


Portsmouth, O., Sept 7 – Falling between two gondola cars ten minutes before his day’s work was done, Cecil B. Chinn, employed as a conductor in the yards of the Whitaker Glessner plant met instant death at 5:20 Monday afternoon. His body was cut in twain and his left arm was severed. There were no eye witnesses to the accident which occurred in the south yards of the big plant. It was the first fatality in the plant since a year ago last Decoration Day.

Yardmaster Reynolds and Engineer George Martin saw Chinn climb on his rain but they did not see him fall. When his body was found it was lying mutilated and lifeless near the spot where he had met a tragic death.

Chinn was making his last trip and ten minutes later he would have been on his way home when fate decreed that he life should be snuffed out so cruelly.

Cecil Buerl Chinn was 23 years old and was the son of Thomas Chinn of Ironton. In addition to his father he leaves his heartbroken wife, Mrs. Evelyn Foster Chinn whom he married on June 28 last.

The deceased also leaves one brother, Justin Harlin Chinn of Newport, Ky., and two sisters, Mary Elizabeth and Carrie, who make their home with Mr. And Mrs. Chinn, their residence being 4012 ½ Rhodes avenue, New Boston.

Mr. Chinn had been located here for three years and had been a faithful employee of the Whitaker-Glessner company for more than a year. He was very industrious, made friends rapidly and will be missed. His employers stated today Mr. Chinn was thoroughly reliable, conscientious and was always on the job.

Coroner J. D. Hendrickson view the body at the Daehler morgue last night and stated he would give his verdict later. Mr. Chinn’s watch was found running and it was turned over to his wife.


The body will be brought to this city (Ironton) this morning and will be taken to the home of Will Chinn of Eighth and Heplar street, an uncle of the deceased. The funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the Chinn home on Eighth and Heplar with burial in Woodland cemetery.”

Esther Chinn

The Semi Weekly Register (Ironton,Ohio), Tuesday, August 6, 1918


The funeral services for miss Esther Chinn were held at the M. E. church at Wurtland, Ky., Sunday afternoon and were largely attended by the relatives and friends of the deceased young lady. Rev. Cooper of Russell conducted the services and six young ladies served as pallbearers. The interment was in the Rice cemetery under the direction of Carman Brothers. A wealth of floral tributes attested the love and esteem in which the young girl was held.”

Mary Rafferty Chinn

The Ironton Register, Thursday, June 8, 1905


Officer Edward Rafferty is in receipt of a telegram stating the death of his sister, Mrs. Alfred Chinn, in Chicago. Mrs. Chin was born and raised in Ironton, but has been living in Chicago, for the past twelve years, where she leaves a husband and two children to mourn her loss.

The telegram did not give any particulars as to the funeral.”

Samuel Hardin Riggs

The Ironton Register, Thursday, November 21, 1907


Hardin Riggs, aged 84, a former resident of Russell (Ky.) and Portsmouth (Ohio) died Monday morning at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Ollie Williams, a few miles back of Russell. Mrs. Jno. Callahan (sic), of Russell, is a daughter of the deceased. The funeral was held this afternoon from the residence where he died..”

Lexius H. Chinn

The Ironton Register, Thursday, p.1, April 21, 1910


The funeral services over the remains of L. H. Chinn were conducted Sunday afternoon in the handsome and commodious First M. E. church. South in Russell, Ky. This edifice as yet has not been dedicated, but the beloved pastor, Rev. O. F. Williams, used the new building to accommodate the exceedingly large concourse of sorrowing friends and relatives of the deceased and then the house of worship was well packed.

Rev. Williams’ address was impressive and touching and very attentively received. The brotherhood of L. B. of E., in which order the deceased was an esteemed and honored member attended in a body. A special train of seven coaches conveyed the funeral cortege to Chinnville [now Raceland], down on the C. and O. [Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad] about opposite Hanging Rock [Ohio].

One resident remarked that it was about the largest funeral he ever witnessed in Russell. The remains were converted to mother earth by the side of his son in the private burying ground at Chinnville.”

Alma Louise Chinn

The Ironton Register, Thursday, p. 1, June 2, 1910


The death angel has visited the family of Thomas Chinn on Walnut street in this city and relatives over in Russell [Ky.], four times within four months, with the death of his baby daughter, Alma Louise, age one year at 7 o’clock Tuesday morning.

The child had the measles and this disease terminated into pneumonia causing death. The funeral arrangements are not definitely made but will probably be held Wednesday afternoon, burial alongside its mother in beautiful Woodland [cemetery]. On the 17th of last February the mother was claimed by death. January 19th, Mrs. Birch of Russell, a sister of the deceased, was called to her everlasting home and in March L. H. Chinn the well known engineer of Russell and a brother to the bereaved husband, Thomas Chinn, passed away.”

Carrie May McGuire Chinn

Memoriam : Paper unknown, probably The Ironton Register c. 1910-1911


Mrs. Thomas Chinn, ne Carrie May McQuire {sic} was born May 25, 1879 and died February 7, 1910. She was a loving and affectionate mother and she will be missed by the six small children who will have to go through life’s battle unaided by the help of a mother. Also the husband will miss from the fireside his loving and tender hearted helpmate who was ever ready to help him bear his heavy burdens along life’s highway.

Through all pain at times she’d smile

A smile of Heavenly birth,

And when the angels called her home

She smiled farewell to earth.

A precious one from us has gone

A voice we loved is still

A place is vacant in our home

Which never can be filled

Heaven retaineth now our treasure,

Earth the lonely casket keeps.

And the sunbeams love to linger

Where our sainted mother sleeps.

E. C. “

Albert Chinn

The Semi-Weekly (Ironton, Ohio) Register, Tuesday, November 5, 1918.



Mr. And Mrs. William Chinn of 1811 south Eighth street, together with the other members of the family were shocked and grieved this morning, when they were handed a letter from the Chaplain of the Eleventh Infantry, now in France, conveying to them the information of the death of their son, Sergeant Albert Chinn, member of Company C, 15th M. G. Battalion. This was absolutely the first intimation they had of their son’s death, and its receipt can be well pictured. Mrs. Chinn and her three daughters are seriously ill with influenza. One in particular, Miss Lula, being dangerously ill. Sergeant Chinn was 23 years of age and one of the finest looking young men to leave this country for service in Uncle Sam’s army. He was one of the first taken from Lawrence County in the draft, being one of the eight who left here a year ago last September. He arrived in France May 3rd, and a letter from him was received by his parents two weeks ago. The war department had not advised them of the fact that he had been killed in action and no word was received until the following explanatory letter came in this morning’s mail:

Chaplain’s Office, Eleventh Infantry, A. E. F. [Allied Expeditionary Force], October 9, 1918.

Dear Friend:

“How beautiful on the mountain are the feet of him that bringeth glad tidings of good things.” But I am very sorry to not be classed as a bearer of good news, as I am writing this to tell you of the death of your son, Albert Chinn, Company C, 15th M. G. Battalion.

“It is given unto men once to die.” It cannot matter much where or when we die, but how is the really important thing. In this war it is not for us to question whether it is right to serve; the government has called us and it is for us each to obey the call of duty. Realizing this condition and feeling that you had already prepared your heart top meet the worst, I know you cannot but respond with worthy admiration and pride to know that when his call came, he was at his post in the advance as a true American soldier, not because he was forced or because he loved war, but he realized that we have a bad job that must be finished. To me it is no small thing to say that he died like a man.

Very sincerely and respectfully yours,

Thomas G. Mantle

Chaplain 11th Infantry.”

Sergeant Albert Chinn was a brother of Sergeant Edward Chinn, formerly of Company I. He is survived by his parents and the following sisters, Lula and Anna Mae Chinn and Mrs. Virgie Christian. This entire community extends to these good people its sincere and heartfelt sympathy.”

T. S. Murray

The Morning Irontonian, Tuesday June 23, 1914


Last services over the remains of T. S. Murray were held Monday morning at St. Lawrence church, where the deceased was a devoted and esteemed member for a number of years, taking a greater interest in the welfare and advancement of the church.

After the services, O’Keefe and Co. conveyed the remains to the N. & W. [Norfolk & Western] train and they were taken to Fayetteville, Brown county, accompanied by the members of the family and Patrick Killoran, a delegate of the A. O. H. [Ancient Order of Hibernians], of which order the deceased was a member. At the brief services held at St. Lawrence church, Dr. Cotter spoke eloquently over the remains. The pall bearers were W. A. Sheridan, Thomas Kinney, Matthew Anderson, Patrick Kelley, Patrick Killoran and John C. Gorman.”

Sophia Brown Mead Chinn

The Ironton Register, Thursday, May 9, 1907


Mrs. Sophia Brown Chinn, mother of B. F. Chinn of Pond Run, Ky., died Monday morning at 10 o’clock. Funeral services will be held at the old homestead Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock sun time.

Mrs. Chinn was the oldest lady in Greenup county, being in her 95th year.”

Cornelius Murray

The Semi-Weekly Register, Ironton, Ohio; Tuesday, Sept 24, 1918


Cornelius Murray, who formerly resided in this city, but who has been a resident of Chicago, died early Saturday at a Chicago hospital. Mr. Murray had been taking treatment there for heart trouble for some time. The deceased was the son of Mr. T. S. Murray of south Sixth street and was well known here. He is survived by his wife and one sone, aged about 15 years, the mother, three brothers and two sisters. Ralph and Hugh Murray of Ironton, Edward of Springfield, and Miss Frances Murray of Ironton, and Mrs. Edith Brawley of Portsmouth.

A brother of the deceased, Ralph Murray, had been at his bedside and was enroute home when the message announcing the death of Con Murray was received by relatives here.

The remains were brought to this city for interment and the funeral will be held at 9 o’clock Tuesday morning at St. Lawrence church.”

The Semi-Weekly Register, Ironton, Ohio; Tuesday, Sept 24, 1918


The body of Cornelius Murray arrived this afternoon from Chicago, and was taken to the home of his mother. Funeral services will be held Tuesday morning at St. Lawrence church with interment following in Sacred Heart cemetery.

The remains of Mr. Murray were accompanied here by the wife and son, Raymond Murray, and Miss Janette Murray, an aunt of the deceased.”


The Ironton [Ohio] Register, Thursday, October 21, 1901

“THOMAS W. CHINN was born July 21, 1837; died October 20, 1901.

You may think I do not miss you

But then I can but weep

When I think of my dear father

In that long and deathless sleep.

Gone but not forgotten.

May his soul rest in peace.

Mary M. Chinn”


Source: The Ironton [Ohio] Tribune, October, 1971, with photo.


Dr. Frank E. Dudley, 62, of Westmont, New Jersey, died in a Westmont hospital Monday [October 4, 1971] about 1 p.m. after suffering an apparent heart attack.

The former Irontonian, who had only a passing acquaintance with high school, was one of the top men in the nation in the field of radiation control, yet he achieved an honorary doctorate from the University of California, Los Angeles for his accomplishments.

Dr. Dudley was a versatile inventor and owned and operated with his wife as a co-partner, a million-dollar-a year business in Westmont. He learned electrical engineering from a two year correspondence course which was a springboard to a business in world sales of his inventions and and a consultant role to such firms as Du Pont and Bethlehem Steel.

Dudley, born Feb. 3, 1909 in Blue Jay, W. Va., a son of the late Walter F. and Mary Florence Jones Dudley, had been in failing health for sometime. He was the youngest of 10 children. In the coal mines of West Virginia he worked his way up to mining engineer and later became an electrician. With his correspondence school credits in hand, Dudley got a job with the Naval Shipyard in Virginia in 1940.

In 1946, Dudley was placed in charge of radiation measurements for the atom bomb tests on Bikini Island.

During his duty at Bikini July 1, 1946 and July 25, 1946, Dudley was supervisor of diving operations for underwater instruments in highly radioactive waters under Admiral T.A. Solberg on the USS Widgen. He established and headed the first U.S. De-contamination Laboratory on Bikini Atoll and perfected the first method of guiding U.S. Navy vessels through radioactive waters.

Dr. Dudley perfected a method of removing radioactive oil slicks (also fire hazards) by use of carbonized sand and developed a method of removing highly radioactive contamination from surfaces – using ground corn cobs.

He was the first to enter Bikini Lagoon after the Atomic Bomb Tests at Bikini in 1946 and upon return to Washington, D.C. he addressed the U.S. Navy Radiological school at the Bureau of Ships.

For his contribution to the field of radiation control, he received the doctorate from UCLA. He organized the Franklin Manufacturing Co., at Westmont in 1947 to market his inventions. Though Franklin’s inventions are sold as far away as Saudi Arabia, the company employs no sales men.

Dudley holds 38 foreign and U.S. Patents on his inventions. An electronic control for expanding tubes, one Dudley invention, is in use throughout the world on ships, in refineries in atomic reactors and other industrial uses. Another invention is a radar target used by the weather bureau to determine wind velocity, a kite capable of holding 250 pounds used for sea rescue work, an instrument for measuring light intensity of school bus warning lights, an implant that makes a plastic eye movable.

Dudley took great interest in problems of the blind and an electronic device that enables blind persons to swim alone in the ocean.

He received a plaque from Haddon Township, New Jersey in 1965 as a special salute. The Centennial Citizen’s Award was presented by U.S. Senator Case for outstanding contributions to the township and to his own community. Mentioned in the list of accomplishments was his development of the T-P Bicycle for the blind and retarded children. He served as Civil Defense Director for Haddon Township for seven years and is past president of the Westmont Little League.

Dr. Dudley returned often to Ironton to attend the annual Sports Day held in late June and in 1969 Dudley and his wife, Genevieve Chinn Dudley, presented to the Ironton County Club a new amplification system. His friendship with the late Dr. W. F. Marting of Ironton stemmed from the 1930’s when the doctor installed X-Ray and diathermia equipment at his hospital but could not find repairmen for the equipment. Dudley responded to the call of the noted surgeon-physician and soon the trouble was corrected.

Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Genevieve Chinn Dudley of Westmont; a son Michael; three sisters, Mrs. Frank (Louise) Snyder of Ironton; Mrs. M.J. (Grace) Hutchison, Sarasota, Fla,; Mrs. R.H. (Margie) Cross of Lynchburg, Va., and a brother, Harold Dudley of Phoenix, Arizona, and several nieces and nephews.

The body of Dr. Dudley, president of Franklin Manufacturing Company, Westmont, N.J. will arrive in Ironton for last rites and burial. The Tracy Brammer Funeral Home will be in charge of arrangements to be announced.”

See also: Obituary in Beckley, West Virginia newspaper, October, 1971 [with photo], titled “Heart Attack Claims New Jersey Inventor”, which, in part, adds some other information:

“Dudley also lived at Blue Jay [West Virginia], Cherry Branch, Crow, Raleigh, Beckley and Glen White.

Dr. Dudley attended Woodrow Wilson High School and held his first job as a ‘coal picker’ in the tipple at Glen White. He later worked inside the mine as a trapper and in the 1920’s he was employed there as a welder and electrician.

He was later employed with the Mining Engineering Department under Lee B. McCormic at Glen White and worked for Leckie Collieries with seven coal operation in West Virginia and Kentucky. In 1929 he ‘moved up the ladder’ and held many positions with private industry, prior to becoming involved with scientific research on the Atomic Bomb.

His family was the first in West Virginia to own an automobile, a four-cylinder Packard, equipped with right-hand drive and carbide lights.”