Will Have New Owner
By KEITH KAPPES January 1966
IRONTON A routine entry in a Common Pleas Court
journal is to be the final chapter in the 115-year history of the Hanging
Rock Presbyterian Church.
The court has been asked to approve sale of the church building to another
religious order, according to Dale H. CHRISTNER, attorney for the Presbytery,
of Scioto. Final approval is pending.
Active use of the church ended last May 18 when it was officially dissolved
by the Chillicothe-based presbytery.
Economic woes, caused by dwindling membership, was cited at the reason for
closing the house of worship. The church had only ten active members at
the time, although 35 were actually carried on its membership rolls.
Ownership of the property reverted to the presbytery trustees, who instructed
Christner to find a buyer for the gray-stoned structure.
The church had not had a resident pastor for several years, and had been
without a part-time minister for almost three years.
Letters of membership of 11 of its congregation have been accepted by the
First United Presbyterian Church of Ironton. The Rev. Philip HENDERSON said
others are being processed.
The Hanging Rock Presbyterian Church came into being during the flourishing
days of the iron region and its charcoal furnaces. The church was dedicated
Nov. 24, 1850. The Rev. A. BARDWELL was its first pastor.
Services had begun almost ten years before the church was formally organized
in its new home.
The aging building stands facing new U.S. 52 in what was once a bustling
community, the namesake of the region where pig iron was in great supply.