Submitted by Martha J. Kounse
The corner at Third and Kemp Avenue has long been a community center. The big unoccupied building was erected in 1892 by John Isaacs, who started in grocery business at Second and Buckhorn Streets in 1880. The business was known as the Whitwell General Store when purchased by Sam W. Boothe in 1901. Mr. Isaacs then built a wire picket fence factory across the street from the store. While occupied by Mr. Boothe a postal substation and the city wagon scales were a part of the building. Mr. Boothe was a civic leader and was a member of the five-man committee that staged the first apple shows in the city from 1914 to 1920. Since the building has been occupied by the Lynd-Schmidt grocery, the Appetite Shoppe, the Sunshine Bakery and others. The above photograph was made in the 1920’s.
Source: July 19, 1961 Herald Dispatch, Huntington WV
Lawrence county Ohio genealogy and historical website