Submitted by Martha J. Kounse
It has been 45 years since the last horses galloped along Third Street to the tune of the hose cart bell. At that time, the city had three fire stations. The last of those stations was built at Third and Clinton Streets. That building is now the Koukos Welding Shop and the only remaining building of the seven hose houses once owned by the city. The first motorized fire fighting equipment was purchased in 1912. At that time the city had three horse-drawn hose carts stationed in different parts of town. House Hose No. 1 was at Fourth and Buckhorn Streets, Firemen were Frank McCarthy, Frank Ferrie, and Thomas Jeffers. No. 2 was at Third and Walnut Streets, Firemen were Charles Holschuh, Herman Baldwin, Joseph McKee, John Lipker, Frank Riedel and Charles Wagner on duty. No. 3 at Third and Clinton was manned by John Mittlehauser, Link Henry and William Willis. William George was fire chief.
Source: July 18, 1961 Herald Dispatch, Huntington WV
Lawrence county Ohio genealogy and historical website