Submitted by Michael L. Brown
Born: 21 October 1854, Lawrence Co., Ohio.
Biography: Amos, son of Jonas and Asenith (Martin) Jenkins, grew up to become a farmer. He received little education. In the census years of 1860 and 1870, he is not listed as attending school either time. He evidently never learned to read or write – at least not by the age of 55. On 20 October 1877, Amos married Mary Francis Lambert, daughter of John and Rutha Jane (Filkins) Lambert. She was born 1 July 1860. She is remembered as a very good Christian woman, a faithful member of the United Brethren church. Amos is also remembered as a good man, but he wasn’t always a churchgoer. His obituary, however, reads that Amos and his wife “were both happily converted and united with the Oakland United Brethren Church, and in this faith they lived until called to join the Church triumphant”. In 1880, they lived in Lawrence Twp., Lawrence Co., Ohio. By 1910, they were over in Aid Twp. Mary was literate and she bore Amos seven children, five of whom were said to still be living by 1910, according to the census. The actual numbers, however, seem to be six of eight. Data on their children, as noted in the list below, remains a bit confused. Mary died before her husband at 12 noon on 4 June 1931 of bronchitis following a bout with the flu. She was buried June 6. Amos died at the home of Lafayette Nance, his son-in-law, with a heart attack at 7:30 in the morning. It was there at the home that the memorial service was held on 26 April 1939. Amos and Mary are buried together in Lodge Hill Cemetery.
2) Charles H., was born in July 1882, according to the 1900 census. His tombstone bares a birthdate of 1883 and a deathdate of 1915.
3) Etta, birthdate unknown. She is said to have died at 14 years of age, falling in between the census years of 1880 and 1900. >From other dates, it seems likely that she was the third child born to the family.
4) Bertha A., was born March 1888, according to the 1900 census. She is said to have died at three years of age.
5) Westly Franklin, was born 28 June 1890 at Kitts Hill. He was a “farm laborer working out” in 1910. A date of 23 December 1914 is given for his marriage to Phoebe Mae Kelley. Phoebe was born 4/5 July 1896 and was the daughter of Lorenzo Dovel and Elizabeth (Heffner) Kelley. After Frank, as he was known, died, Phoebe remarried to Moses Watts and had one other child, a daughter named Joann. Phoebe died on 6 September 1975 in Ironton. She and Frank apparently had a number of children, although available information has erroneous dates.
6) Mary L., possibly born in August 1893. Census information confused!
7) Mamie A., or quite possibly Minnie, born on 17 February 1896 and died 2 September 1957. Her death took place in Ashville, Ohio where she lived at the time. She married to Richard Delong.
8) William O., born 12 July 1900 and died 8 October 1970.